Global Organic Textiles Standard, or GOTS, is recognised as the leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibres worldwide. It shows that we commit to the highest level in environmental and social standards, with the aim to define requirements to ensure the organic status of textiles.
It’s the top dog! The Gold Standard for organic cotton!? Woohoo!
So, that's GOTS in a nutshell - but what else does it mean?
- GOTS traces the cotton from start to finish with the use of transactional certificates. Unregulated, this process can be subject to false claims. With GOTS certification we can say with our hands on our hearts that our GOTS suppliers comply with GOTS organic, social and ethical standards!
- Under GOTS our factories are audited to check that workers are provided with a safe and clean environment, and are paid a living wage (which means either the national standard or industry benchmark, whichever is higher.)
- GOTS prohibits the use of chemicals commonly used in textile processing that can cause serious illnesses and bans the use of any pollutants which can destroy ecosystems. This means happier farmers and factory workers, and a happier planet.
- As part of the sustainability management criteria, GOTS requires each factory to tell them how much water and energy they use to process the cotton. They also target goals and procedures to help reduce energy and water consumption.
- Allergenic and toxic chemical residues are not allowed in GOTS certified clothing. This is a big plus, as it means our clothes are kinder to delicate skin, and less likely to trigger nasty allergies.
For more information visit global-standard.org.